Friday, March 29, 2013

Why I Can't Shop Alone...

We got the bathtub leveled and installed today. The bathroom has a serious slant to it and that meant throwing some mortar down on the floor to build it up and get everything on the same level.
You can see the gap between tub and floor on the drain side. This is what we were fighting.
We built out the wall to make sure everything was plumb. Still need to make a wall for the plumbing though.
Getting the tub in took more time than expected today. We also found out we had miscalculated the amount of tile we are going to need for the floor. Since the floor is so badly slanted and there is such a clear gap with the tub bottom, we are going to use mortar and level the entire floor which meant we needed more mortar and tile. This sent me on a solo run for supplies. I had a very well set list of 4 items: tile, three 50 lbs bags of mortar to level, a 50 lbs bag of mortar for the tiles, tiles, and 2 extra sheets of subfloor. I had to return two 10 lbs bags of the tile mortar we had bought with before we recalculated the space. It was more cost effective to return and get a bigger bag.

I couldn't find the proper concrete subfloor at the store I went to and they didn't have nearly enough tiles. It would have been 11 days to get a special order in but the Madison West store had plenty of tile and I knew where the boards are too. After picking 200 pounds of mortar and a vanity light (not on the initial list, but something we needed and had already decided on) I made the choice to jump in the car and run to the other store for the last items on the list.

Got to the other stir and found the items easily enough. Also picked up a bird feeder and some seed since we have a yard! Why not feed the birds?

After getting the tiles to the car I realized there was one more item that we needed and had to run back inside before running to the lumber yard to pick up the concrete boards. After trying to stir the batch that was under the tub by hand, I picked up an oversized egg beater attachment that will work on a drill to stir the mortar. 

Kevin doesn't know what all I've been up to yet... Wish me luck...
Put this in place and there wasn't a single bird in the yard

No comments:

Post a Comment