Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Finished Insulation!!!

With some parental help we got a lot of the upstairs's insulation completed and tonight we completed it.

 There was still a lot of junk left over upstairs and that all went out the window.

It was then loaded up and  in the truck and hauled to the dump. It was 1740 lbs worth of wood. This also meant we got rid of those timbers that once held up the kitchen floor.

The remaining pictures show Kevin's awesome framing job for the closet and the upstairs's register. 

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Building Walls

 The other side of the upstairs got a new wall as well ^_^

 It's amazing what covering the screw heads with a little mud can do to a room! Now that the walls are in place, we'll (meaning Kevin) can finish the drywall in the bedroom.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013



The studs of the old wall and the bracing pole for when it gets removed.

   The hole in the floor is from the old chimney stack.
Framing for the New Closet
Only thing supporting the ceiling is the rafters is one pole and a 2"x4"x8'

Behold! New Wall Studs!


New Base and Furnace

 Plenum and Condensate Pump


Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Bedrooms & Pantries

Let there be light in the pantry!
 The task of sheet rocking the main bedroom has come a LONG way :)

Amazingly, white makes the entire space look bigger

Laid a concrete slab to try and keep some water out of the basement

We got a truck. Truck has proven useful, especially hauling drywall

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Hey Remember This?

Ok, so we have been really bad about updating this summer. Part of this is due to work and other projects and us putting ourselves out of commission as well as just plain moving in! Our lease expired on the apartment at the end of June so we had to pack up and move in before the beginning of July. The upstairs is a work in progress so we've been living in the kitchen and living room which hinders working on those rooms because so much stuff is piled into them. Couches will fit on dressers if properly sized, for your information.

What have we been doing? Well, upstairs has gotten some more insulation in the bedroom as well as electricity in the hallway! There's even some drywall on the walls and ceiling! Which I would have pictures of, but I would have to move a box spring and boxes that is our makeshift wall to keep the cats out from up there. Instead, I present you: backyard photos!

You'll remember that in spring we had a duck pond for a backyard, well we found out part of the reason, there is a giant concrete slab under six inches of topsoil and grass. To remedy all these issues, we are putting in a drainage well. Kevin was working on the hole for it today. Which meant, I couldn't resist getting into it once it was done.

 I am 5'4" so that gives you an idea of the size of the hole.
The tree roots that were getting in the way.

Using the shovel for size comparison.

We also planted some Lilac seedlings that I transplanted from my grandma's yard!
This is our new compost box